Monday, April 03, 2006

shiva bleeds through my icons

Icon #1: the elephant.
Icon #2: the crane (the machinery, not the bird; see below).

Saturday one of my new roommates was watching a National Geographic show on elephants. No, it was not glowing show about how sweet my trunkified friends are. It was more gruesome: When elephants attack.

This afternoon I got a phone message from my mom: Hi honey. I just wanted to tell you I just heard on the news that in Boston a crane collapsed and already two people are dead. Well, I just wanted to let you know since you like cranes so much. Love you.

Yeah, I know how to pick ’em, icons that do both some creatin' and destroyin'.

Brings me a feeling similar to what I felt the first day I drove to work after I moved to Brooklyn a few weeks ago. I turned on the radio to catch some news. The first two pieces: 1. New York is the US state with the worst air, which causes higher rates of cancer (not that I was much better off before—Jersey was listed as #5); 2. there is a coyote loose in Central Park.

If the cancer won’t get me, an anomalous wild animal will.

Or an elephant or a crane.

2 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

Maybe a crane will collapse on the coyote and save you. You weren't much better off before though, because there were coyotes loose in Belle Mead. At night at Carrier we could hear their sounds and I think a few people actually spotted them. There was a mountain lion and a bear too (separate times).

11:45 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

well, that's a positive attitude, kim (crane falling on coyote). does this mean i'm safer now? never, never.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home