Friday, March 10, 2006

the sun went out and left behind dysphonic spittle

Springdom temperatures, skirt-snatching winds. It’s apocalyptically nice here today and I am punchy. By punchy I mean that you should maintain a two-foot distance from my black-tower boots and aletheia-eyes and speak judiciously lest you incur the wrath of the Hera in my bosom.

My grandma uses that word, bosom; I watched Bosom Buddies regularly when I was younger. The word kind of makes me blush. For some reason when I hear it I think of large flesh-glands undulating too close to my face. With magic and honeydew wherewithal, I will transform this association. Dirty-stripper-breasts be gone! Bosom is a nice word.

And then the sun went out. And the sun went out again.

In a total eclipse of their psyches, the sun having been blocked once caused riots in northern Borno. Hopefully this time around, March 29, things will run more smoothly. The Information Minister says, "Some people even felt some evil people in their communities were responsible for the eclipse….The eclipse is not expected to have any real damaging effect, only social and psychological discomforts are envisaged." What might these discomforts be? Suicidal fear of apocalypse? Insecurity about facial acne? Chimney envy? Bathrobe depression?

I got the fear and a package of dynamite in the glove box.

* * * *

And then the sun came back, looking like a mouse on laughing gas.

A party ensued and all discomfort was pleasured into extinction.

2 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

Two snappy and fantastic posts, Sara! I liked the maybe alcohol-influenced one but this is well sharp. Still loving your style x

7:26 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Thanks much, Benjamin! Yes, the other was accidentally alcohol-influenced. Got a little carried away in front of the laptop. So it goes. I hope all's well and interesting.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home