Friday, February 10, 2006

still there is no paper in the god-machine

The fax machine in my office ate itself this morning and the hospital has cut the midget budget. It’s that sort of day.

The machine claims, "Paper Jam". Says, "Open Cover, Remove Paper."

I open the cover, find no paper.

The machine commands, "Close Cover." I do.

The sequence repeats.

I have acquired Exploding Head Syndrome* of a new color, Incredible Hulk-like strength in riling ire.

*Check out the Kundalini side effect mentioned in the Wikipedia article. Bizarre.

I think all of this is quite funny.

Meanwhile, some music news excites me:

Sing-Sing, comprised of one of the members of Lush, Emma Anderson, has a second album that will be available in the US this Valentine's Day. I like Sing-Sing songs ok, but never paraded around naked singing along; however, because of Emma Anderson's facial expressions and fascinating demeanor I am faithful.

Built to Spill will finally be releasing another album and
beginning a tour. Some day Doug Martsch and I will eat pizza together.

His Name Is Alive has a new album out that apparently is the best ever.

The Fiery Furnaces delight me and
they will continue to delight me, or my name just isn't.


Meanwhile, other news excites me too:

Headless Sphinx unearthed.

The Odyssey is over.

Greek shipwreck from 350 BC revealed.

The World’s First Laptop.

There is an academic journal on
cereal science.*

*A sample title and abstract:
"Analysis of heat-damage indices in breakfast cereals: Influence of composition"
Cereal-derived breakfast products are increasingly consumed because they are an important source of energy both for adults and children. Although the earliest breakfast cereal manufacture was based on boiling then drying, extrusion has become a well-established industrial technology with beneficial effects on the nutritional properties and texture of the final product (xxxxxx, 2004). The pleasant flavours and colours of breakfast cereals are produced in the drying and toasting steps (xxxxxx, 1998). The chemical reactions involved in their generation are essentially the Maillard and caramelisation reactions, both depend on the type of substrate, temperature, water activity and pH.

2 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

Hi Sara. Hungover and out of paracetamol on a black Sunday evening, I try The Fiery Furnaces. Fantastically insane music I think I like. Where did you pick these acid heads up from? Cheers x

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

hi finnegan. i think there was some micro-imp tooling around and inflicting headaches and general distress on people that day. hopefully he/she has gone to sleep forever now.

hi benjamin. a friend told me of The Fiery Furnaces. then i saw them at the Siren Festival in Coney Island a couple of years ago (where the girl was wearing the same bright yellow pants i own, with the unique stitching; i figure we bonded that day). so far i like everything they do. the last album was quite bizarre--some say 'unlistenable'. i think it's fantastic. i'm glad you like.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home