Tuesday, January 10, 2006

evident distrust of bone and flesh

A salt bagel is a foul creation. I’m glad I’m not a celebrity marrying and divorcing as frequently as day turns to night and especially not under a spotlight. My lips are numb.

Until I’m no longer a busy motherfucker at work, here’s bits and pieces:

Woman mummifies, having died and upon her wishes been left in front of her TV—for 2 and a half years.

Update on the fraudulent stem-cell researcher from South Korea. Apparently he verifiably cloned a dog but nevertheless lied and inked mal-data. Apparently he also made use of the eggs of one of his research assistants. Even accompanied her to the hospital for the procurement. He stands by his findings. This story fascinates me.

So whose skull is it, and what’s it matter? Further confirmation that rugs will always be slipped out from under the house’s foundation. And that it doesn't matter really. I don’t believe anything, except that salt bagels are foul.

Go here to see a stunning photograph.

* * * *

God Has Wheels prompted the following (I love lists):

Four jobs I've had in my past:
1. English teacher at community college
2. backroom monkey at Borders bookstore
3. reader for potential question theft in LSAT prep books
4. air conditioner factory worker


Four things I want to do before 2006 is over:
1. move from Belle Mead to Brooklyn
2. put together a book’s worth of poems
3. gain back sureness with one of the foreign languages I learned and have been losing
4. learn more about the way the brain functions

Four things I say a lot:
1. Wow. (to my chagrin)
2. That’s a bunch of baloney. (I enjoy its cartoonishness)
3. It’s weird. (also to my chagrin, so be it)
4. Evidently, ____. (or so I’m told)

Four things I don't trust:
1. Language (as much as I love it, I don’t trust it written or spoken; always something is hiding behind it)
2. Salespeople of any kind (their agendas by nature are ill-focused)
3. People who smile all the time (obviously it isn’t possible to do so sincerely)
4. Zealots

(Government is sort of a given I figure, like r s t l n e in the final puzzle on Wheel of Fortune.)

(In one way or another, all of these come down to sales of some kind and the language that is used in the act of it.)

Four things I do trust:
1. My intuition
2. Eyes
3. My closest friends and some family members
4. Memories from my sandbox

Four people from history I'd like to meet:
1. Charlie Chaplin: Thanks for making me laugh and think, when those activities seem otherwise impossible.
2. William Faulkner: How in the hell did you write The Sound and the Fury?
3. Galen: Weren’t you tempted to cut open a human body just once--cross the prohibitions of religion just once--to see how the thing worked? I must know.
4. Sophocles: Read aloud to me your Theban cycle while I lie here on the couch; afterward we will have a discussion morality and the viable coexistence of perfectly conflicting ideologies.

Four best movies of 2005:

1. Broken Flowers
2. A Very Long Engagement (in the common 2004, but in my 2005)
3. Sideways
4. The Constant Gardner

(As stated in a previous post, I have a horrible memory regarding the timeframe of a year; the last five years seem like last year.)

Four best books I read in 2005:
1. Infinite Jest
2. The Magus
3. Incompleteness: The Proof and Paradox of Kurt Gödel
4. Mind Wide Open: Your Brain and the Neuroscience of Everyday Life

3 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

You need to eat salt bagels upside down. Or else, as you've discovered, it will tear up the roof of your mouth. But being from the state you're from I wouldn't expect you to know all there is to know about bagel ettiqute.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

well, thanks, hudson.

thank you for understanding, kim. i have had much to learn about the bagel out here on the east coast.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

yessir, finnegan. will mind mind mind my step. surely.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home