Wednesday, December 28, 2005

the fuzz of rectitude

Illinois was good to me for Christmas. The office where I work, however, conspires to quash the lingering warmth with paint fumes. Is there no law against painting the workplace while people are present during work hours with all doors and windows closed?

Yesterday painters painted my office at 10am. I worked until 5pm. People who fill personal emptiness by criticizing the workplace regardless of reason annoy me, so I gave it a good think why painters might be painting during this unfortunate period of time, and I see no reason for it.

People put in the hardwood floor last week outside work hours. Already again my brain is crawling with chemical mites and my belly is nauseous. I reiterate: I work in a hospital. A fire alarm went off yesterday and nobody knew what to do. Safety first.

Apparently if employees leave while the alarm is sounding and the fire isn’t in their part of the building, they will not be allowed back in. Apparently some people feel threatened enough by this to remain in a hallway full of smoke.

Somewhere over the rainbow people are smart. Because their brain cells haven’t been swallowed by paint fumes.

The news the news tells us:

Congratulations, meatloaf. You’re movin’ on up. Meatloaf has graduated from diner food to restaurant food.

It is a fuzzy line that moles between bone loss and bone promotion: three drink, four drink, five drink, six?

Scientific study proves newlyweds who are nice to each other stay together longer. Given the complex and often backward nature of human interaction, regular beatings, insults, and negligence could work, but not absolutely. Now we know.

Kato's Conjecture solved at last!

Letterman speaks in code. You know, the way he looked at me through the tv screen one night, I kind of thought he wanted me to tickle his feet while co-hosting the show. Bastard.

What else can we pull the rug out from under?
Scientist turned hack magician falls from heroism to empty impitude. What’s the point of being a scientist if you’re going to sculpt the data?

As per Doug Martsch, make it up as you go.

2 Comments:

Blogger glomgold said...

Painting during normal persons' work hours is just plain stupid. And what a kook that Letterman lady.
I'm a fan of meatloaf and glad to see it making inroads into the radicchio / foie gras set. I'd a reasonably tasty though non loaf-shaped meatloaf awhile ago in NY. It was more a grapefruit sized meatball and due to time constaints had to be wolfed down in minutes. Merry post-xmas.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

finnegan--Please do! I love peanut butter. I couldn't ask for better representation.

hudson--That's awful. Zebra decor with zebra fumes would drive my sense absolutely mad.

glomgold--I know--the Letterman lady. I kept waiting for the sentence that would explain and redeem her. Nope. Just cracked. Merry post-xmas back at ya.

Gabreael--Thanks for stopping by. Minutes ago I relocated my chemicized self to another part of hte hospital. I wonder how the painters handle it.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home