Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Eventual peace between historic enemies

It is now 9:56am. I probably won’t post this until much later, but I was just hit with the fact of the hurricanic wash of multi-tasking and communications that goes on, even within an hour’s time. I woke up at 7am and saw no person for the first hour. Since then, after having listened to news on NPR while driving to work, I have engaged in a text message conversation with my roommate, a text message conversation with another friend, checked all four of my e-mail accounts, glanced quickly at internet news, sent my phone number to a workmate in Ireland who will be in the area soon, sent a fax about an international conference listing to a different workmate in Amsterdam, sent e-mail to an author in Germany, sent e-mail to my favorite card trickster about the kickass Silver Jews CD Tanglewood Numbers, conversed with a girl at work about having the same shirt but in a different color scheme, conversed with a different co-worker about air-guitaring the shit out of the place later on, begun an e-mail dialogue with the aforementioned roommate, read or commented on five blogs including my own, ordered three Christmas gifts online, edited a manuscript in response to which I now have to e-mail the author with a question about an MRI reference which eludes me. I’m certainly missing more, and my boss isn’t even here to speak with. So much happens and so much slips by.

Last night I finished reading A Brief History of the Mind. Near the end, Calvin writes about speed of things happening these days, and about our capacity to react, the gap in between. It isn’t the speed of things that matters so much, but the relative speed, the speed of things occurring relative to our reaction time. The gap if not reconciled could cause doomful collapse, as in "the bigger they are, the harder they fall."

I am attentive to details—actually, sometimes the sort of focus and weight I put on the tiniest of things—involuntarily I consider a brief small-talk chat in passing an event—hinders me. That is, the smallest things, being events, require so much energy that just a couple of conversations in passing, deciding whether or not to have a cup of coffee, opening the door, retrieving the coffee, quickly come to seem like a month's worth of material.

Many quickly passing thoughts are packed into each event. There is a word for this, maybe, neurosis. For people without this "condition," much goes on unnoticed. So-called crazy people aren’t laughing at or talking to nothing; there’s just a lot going on within each nanosecond that needs responding to. Even things that are not really going on under the surface are relegated to under the surface, because not everything can be sanely handled by physical hand and eye.

Soul be made flesh, now I will uncover how the discovery of the brain changed the world.

Other vines twine as follows:
The price of stamps will increase.

Beer is healthy. "Hops used to brew beer may have some health benefits but researchers warn against expecting any significant effect by drinking a few cold ones." That means you must drink steadily until your health improves.

Intersex animals invade the planet! "Scientists have discovered sexually altered fish off the Southern California coast, raising concerns that treated sewage discharged into the ocean contains chemicals that can affect an animal's reproductive system." Fellas, you too could develop ovary tissue in your testes if you continue to play in sewage.

And a headline I can’t keep to myself: Catholic Bishops Turn to Lay Ministers...and ask, How do you like it?

3 Comments:

Blogger glomgold said...

I guess by 'treatment' they mean 'pump into ocean'.

The post office is doomed. Take THAT Kevin Costner!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

glomgold--Shall we have a funeral for the post office? A little cheesecake, some tears. Wherever will my flirting postman go...

finnegan--I run the gamut. I too like wine, as long as it's red and preferably not Merlot. The Internet sex animal jelly spread on wheat toast is traditional in my family.

12:50 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

I'll stick with the cheesecake. And not sexy cyber-cheesecake, normal cheesecake.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home