Thursday, January 12, 2006

propietorship and the rug

Liza Minnelli tried to steal my truck.

I don’t remember what had been going on before this scene at lakeside. It had something to do with new albums I was giving first listen and opinion to. Lighting was tawny, albums were suspended at abstract angles in tawny air. Then I was sitting in my new Ford SUV in a parking lot behind the beach at a pretty blue lake.

Apparently my parents had just bought me this truck (Note: if anyone has information that this gift is to be given, please encourage them to keep their money). It was long, brown and dark blue. Looked as though I was moving or at least relocating a sizeable chunk of my belongings. Bags and boxes were in the front and back seats. Magazines and posters were in the very back.

Liza Minnelli pulled up next to my driver’s side in a shiny white car. She wore a frightening smile. I smiled back and loaded more items into the truck. I have no idea where these items were coming from, since I was at lakeside. The tangible place from where I was retrieving things is unknown to me. Some invisible storage bin.

Liza asked if I wanted any help. "No thanks," I said. "I only have a couple more things to load." She smiled another frighteningly lip-sticked smile. I smiled back and hopped in the truck to drive away. The truck had reversed directions to be parked back-end out.

I started the truck and rolled forward a few feet, when I glanced in the rearview and saw that the back hatch was open. The magazines and posters would fly out.

Liza was standing behind the truck, smiling in the sunshine. She’d asked if she could help, and I was already belted in, so I leaned out and asked her if she’d close the hatch. She smiled, nodded agreeably and said sunnily, "No."

Oh. Well, ok. I threw the truck in park and got out. The truck was long. As I walked toward its back end, Liza began walking, with a smiley bounce, toward the passenger’s side, her hand reaching for the door. It wasn’t locked.

She was going to steal my truck.

A horrific pit formed in my belly and I forced myself awake, scared paralyzed by the impending theft.

* * * *

cookies:

Cyclops, the one-eyed cat How ecstatically, sadly Homeric.

Americans drinkin’ on the job Yeah, I'll "spice" my coffee.

US-Mexico tunnel Tunnels excite me.

The difference between fact and fiction is a candy bar. This guy’s not on trial. Frey knowingly exaggerated events. I don’t see the point of investigating the truth of these events, particularly not after the book has been printed, and particularly because he isn’t reporting on, say, a war. I guess people feel deceived.

This morning I heard on the radio about a recent finding that plants emit methane gas, a greenhouse gas, which throws a wrench into plans to curb global warming, given one idea is to plant trees to absorb carbon dioxide. Having trouble locating a link for it in a quick few minutes before doing work at work. This post is from yesterday, which work at work kept me from posting. I believe this is still being investigated. At first, scientists reviewing the article on it thought it was ridiculous (flat-earth syndrome?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home