Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Freedom of jaw movement: allow the monkey to sleep

Is it possible that consumption of soy causes the cessation of the development of male sexual organs? Is it possible that early consumption of soy cause bush and breast on girls before the age of three?

Earlier I was researching soy as I ate soy yogurt, realizing I wasn’t as informed as I could be. There are as many web sites
on the dangers as on the benefits. I never know what to believe about nutrition-related (or government-related or physics-related or train-related or germ-related or handshake-related…you see) news. Egg yolk is good, egg yolk is bad. In theory, I say eat everything in moderation, though I rarely deviate from a stock of salad, soup, pizza, burrito, ice cream though less often in recent days, meat on scant occasion, probably more alcohol than required.

I aim to think critically, synthesize intelligently, from the gamut of given information, but infinituedes of information both arrive and change quickly with little time for source-verification before a new baby is born. Presentation—of web site, of spoken delivery—is a start but still potentially represents the dubious. It isn’t difficult to concoct slick, and I can’t help but allow for the possibility that each nugget is power-/money-driven. (I haven’t read extensively yet. I only began and then leapt here.)

Without full knowledge of
this New Zealand source, say, I don’t know how funny it is to include this quote on the opening page of their site "elucidating" the dangers of soy: "...If you only knew the power of the dark side" -Darth Vader. Who would quote Darth Vader on a web site intending to inform the public of serious matters? Or maybe that’s a way of extending a sense of common understanding. A terrible line of poetry works quite well given a uniquely proper context.

A little self-critique: Get a grip, Sara. You have to assess and decide, There is nothing else, It’s part of being human. Living is a constant act of exploration because nobody knows anything for certain, and to move forward we have to lean at least a little on what has gained acceptance as knowledge or as at least being so. Still, look at all the people who saw enough merit to vote for Bush. (I am not as politically informed as I could be either, but I pay attention to course and effect.)

This lack of verifiable foundation drives me as mad as when I think about everything in and around me being composed of atoms (if those even exist). There is always a foot out the door in case the world is shapeless, in case all my friends are actually stick figures drawn on the wall. How lunately fragile.

I think of a recent
transience post: fuck "less"—I want my stuff. Maybe I want less. Maybe not. Maybe a glass of wine. By less and the implied more I transfer the meaning to more and less information/detail/confounding factors/evidence. Of course, in this sense, I always want as much as possible. How lunately* masochistic.

I bank on experience when I can, but it could be decades before I know that high or even moderate soy consumption has caused my body to fill with worms. I bank on my gut, rest on its headless command. Shake my hand. I’m germ-free. Loose the preventative tension, please.

(whine, whine, whine, whine, whine)

* I made this word up out of necessity and long-during desire, which, yes, is another confounding factor, compounding both masochism and lunacy.

- - - - -

I wish I didn’t have amnesia or compartmental memory drivers or whatever it is that gets me excited about doing or learning something only to abandon it without recall shortly after beginning it.

Wishes are fruitless. More later once William Carlos Williams finishes snaking into my ear.

3 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

:-)

3:27 PM  
Blogger kim said...

by the way i got your message and thanks!!! i'm sorry i didnt return your call yet, i've been going nuts with school. how are things?

3:28 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

awesome. don't go nuts. things here, they are nuts. be well. will e-mail soon.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home