Friday, March 31, 2006

not the birds but the machinery

Today I turn 30. They call me a child, but the wise one said I got younger again.

Today began with surprise messages from people who didn’t even know it was my birthday and twice live singing over the phone. Yesterday, tiramisu.

My mom sent this:

Dad and I wish we could spend your 30th birthday with you. We looked very hard for a crane of some kind to send you. Dad even looked for an erector set and wanted to build you one. Kids toys aren’t what they used to be. We looked for weeks until we took ill and then well you know the rest!! You do so deserve a crane, a Big beautiful crane and one day it will be yours!!

Priceless. I told her I wanted a crane for my 30th birthday. Cranes awe me. Not the birds but the machinery.

The morning included promises of health and stout elixir drunk by squirrels in my honor, cranberry, a chat with a sleep fellow.

We encouraged passersby to eat free cookies. Flowers arrived. And candy. I ate leftover tofu.

The sun is out and the air is warm.

5 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have a wonderful day and a great year ahead, Happy birthday!

All the best,

Jonathan

7:24 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

That sounds like a delightful way to start your thirty-first year on the planet. Sorry I missed it, but Happy Birthday x

11:33 PM  
Blogger dishpantheism said...

a happy belated birthday to you!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Thank you, Jonathan, Benjamin, and dishpantheism! The birthday was good. Still taking it in actually.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home