Wednesday, April 12, 2006

let us eat flowers and tell tales of pillage

A few unusual slow days at work bewitch me. I've acquired a severe attention deficit, all at once amidst several loose ends: trying to open eps files on my incapable computer, sending elicit photos to a friend, inquiring about the price of another friend's paintings for aforementioned friend, reading Pitchfork interview with Neko Case, collecting color data, mapping road and train routes for co-worker, selecting a poem to go in the next issue of our journal, finishing a Hershey bar, selecting a CD to listen to, responding to work e-mails. Pieces of each of these things sit sprawled out on my desk and computer. I had forgotten I had started any of them until I stopped to look around. And so I ask...

"Which flowers are edible? Among the most common edible flowers are peonies, pansies, carnations, chamomile, chrysanthemums, dandelions, daylilies, gardenias, geraniums, gladioli, lavender, lilies, nasturtiums, primroses, roses, squash blossoms, sweet violets, pot marigolds, and yucca blossoms." (via Reference.com)

In Norway, around Easter time--fuck the bunnies and lavender eggs. Norwegians tell tales of crime, listen to radio shows about crime, watch television programs about crime. It’s a tradition perhaps rooted in Viking behavior: "On their return [from raiding trips] the Vikings would settle down with flasks of mead, an alcoholic drink made from honey, and recount tales of murder and pillage to their women and children."

That’s all I’ve got today, outside my new coat tree. I’m glad I have friends who paint me red.

2 Comments:

Blogger glomgold said...

I just ate a Hershey's bar. An overpriced fund-raiser one. Those crazy Norse, don't they know Law & Order is on multiple times every night of the week? Every day is crime day!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hey, mine was an overpriced fundraiser Hershey, too. But I really like the woman whose kid it was for...one of the few times I've buckled. Usually like a cold bitch I say no.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home