Wednesday, March 09, 2005

An Essay Hallucinated

Maniacal laughter came as mild epiphany this morning and I had to hide. Sales reps frequently hang outside the office next door to me. I have written of them here before, the non-oompah orange-faces all crisped-out in perfect suits, talking their crisped-out talk flanked with a dank arsenal of clichés, mixing metaphors like no-good poets. I love what you're doing with your hair. Sight of the slick brown-hair in the navy two-piece standing outside the office next to mine, waving his choreographed hand around, called up the whole species of them and set off a hearty cacophony in my head. I had to hide out of prudence. In hiding I am steeped in research of sleep-related hallucinations.

To begin, there are complex nocturnal visual hallucinations, the topic of the paper that’s driven me the deepest into the medical library. Learn more
here, though I don’t know how reliable is the information. Cliff-hanger highlights: "In 1922, the French neurologist Jean Lhermitte described a patient with bizarre visual hallucinations associated with clinical signs suggesting focal midbrain and pontine involvement…. Lhermitte's 1922 case report described a 72-year-old female who experienced bizarre visual hallucinations. These hallucinations involved common animals (e.g., chickens) possessed with a strange appearance, people attired in costume, and children playing. Although the patient knew the hallucinations were not real, she would sometimes attempt to touch them. The images occurred late in the day, particularly at dusk."

Furthermore, "results indicate that rapid and complete visual deprivation is sufficient to induce visual hallucinations in normal subjects."

Moreover, "these qualities of sensation, objectivity, existence, and independence, are among the defining qualities of hallucinations (Aggernaes, 1972)", should you find yourself in such a pickle that requires more knowledge about sleep paralysis and associated hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences.

Finally, a different pickle might require you to define all sorts of hypersomnia, namely idiopathic hypersomnia.

Epilogue: An invigorating conversation with one of the sleep fellows, the one with whom I share Hitler-arms in the hallway, has filled my head with comatose Cajuns and voodoo, with colorful beads, beer, and tennis shoes, the only three things she said she could see to buy on Bourbon Street. Delayed delay down there, she said. Perhaps the natives were all still tired from Mardi Gras celebrations. New Orleans is still on my list. When I go I’ll bring a little learned Jersey with me, a clown’s horn to honk at slow-talkers. I’ll give ultimatums. Or I’ll get drunk and buy tennis shoes, dangling beads from my teeth.

1 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

New Orleans...Just outside tourist city limits I watched a man push a woman in front of a trolley. Brakes happened, some movement, the woman was not hit. Later that day a man in jean shorts and a grubby white t-shirt staggered up behind me. Then around. Once he passed, I realized he was holding a butcher knife behind his back. Hypodermic needles flood the streets.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home