Monday, February 28, 2005

Tea String Trio

Dizzy today, with winter head. Green vertigo deranges the hallway and the sitting down. DeTox tea is in the air because that’s what there is.

The fortune on the tag at the end of the tea bag’s string reads: "The beat of your heart is the rhythm of your soul."

This morning during the drive to work NPR gave a story on a jazz musician doing scientific research on the beat of the heart:
Milford Graves.

In the basement of his home in Queens, he listens to and charts micro-rhythms in single heartbeats. If we listen close we can hear eighth notes; if we listen closely we can hear triplets.

The idea is he will listen to the beating a heart makes. He will manipulate an abnormal beat and put it back into the body, set right through acupuncture needles or through the ears. Music from outside the body is thread healingly into music in the body.

As yet the research is considered not ready for patient care but in experimental stages of potential innovative treatment.

Last night upon my roommates urging me out of the magnetism curling me into my blankets, I watched Ray with them. I thank them.

Like a very long engagement, like sideways, I can’t get ray out of me. I didn’t want ray to end.

When ray ended on the disc I turned to my blankets and returned to infinite jest, into a chapter about a junkie in withdrawal, wearing days-old eyeliner, heels, red leather, and long pants. In a subway car he shat, seizured, and swallowed his tongue.

A whole lot of heroin and withdrawal thrashed before bed. I slept in and out. The room was lighter each time I woke.

Today I am dizzy. Dandelion steeps the air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home