Thursday, February 17, 2005

Occult Calculus

Another observation session with the medical librarian and I have further confirmation of her Lovecraftian origins. I watched her walk a newcomer to the stacks and explain the National Library of Medicine (NLM) classification system. When she delivered in her quaint British accent a brief history of the NLM classification system she bolded the capitalized L's in Lovecraftian Librarian. The NLM system originated during WWII, when the Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) was developed, also referencing the landmark television program. In my quick research I couldn’t find the full connection. Her demonstration of historical particulars adds clear evidence to a rich occult background that must manifest itself in scaly tentacles extending from her hips and down. These appear only in resting state, I imagine, which is why they were not visible during her tour-guide trip to the stacks.

In other news, I am a nephrologist today. I am an expert in kidneys and in diseases affecting the kidneys. I hone in on nephroliths. I biopsy alien calculi that visit innocent kidneys. An abstract abacus in one hand and a marble Sigma in the other, I am prepared to calculate a differential cure. Walk-in appointments available.

6 Comments:

Blogger 8ZERO8 said...

Nephrologist? That sounds way cool.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Patrick Keilty said...

I love librarians and libraires! I'm in a library as I type this. You made my day. More library promotion!

5:16 PM  
Blogger kim said...

Oh patrick... you and libraries must be a match made in heaven. have you heard that librarians do it in the stacks? :-) haHa

6:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Tomorrow I hope to be an expert in something else. I'll see what the medical library gives me.

Doin' it in the stacks. That's a fantasy of mine.

8:34 PM  
Blogger kim said...

Can you tell me what Lovecraftian means?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Lovecraftian, Kim: H.P. Lovecraft, writer of captivating, fantastical horror stories. In brief.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home