Monday, February 07, 2005

Wearing a toga draped over a bikini, eating borscht

That’s the position I found myself in yesterday afternoon. Yesterday I did two of my favorite things: sweat in the bathhouse, eat Ethiopian food. I add these to a list I made back in September, which included and still includes the following:
1. dreaming
2. laughing
3. being surprised (along the whole +/- spectrum)
4. being naked with my boyfriend
5. shifting into alternate consciousness while writing

Because seven is an unfinished basement, I add these to make a solid top ten favorite things:
8. sorting & organizing (which sometimes include messing things up first)
9. exploring a new town
10. making mix tapes/CDs/etc. for people I care about.

Anyway, yesterday my boyfriend and I celebrated three eventful years together in Manhattan at the
Russian and Turkish baths, after which we dined finely an Ethiopian restaurant new to both of us. The state of meditative calm induced by the bathhouse for me is unparalleled. If the bathhouse were closer to where I live I’d go once a week. Perhaps it’s good it isn’t; i.e. Grandma’s rolls stopped tasting so good when she started making them every week and not only at holidays. After a couple of hours of sweating we went upstairs for food. The vegetable soup was gone, so I ordered borscht. I’d never had borscht. When I lived in Iowa City I made beet soup, not borscht exactly, after reading Tom Robbins’s Jitterbug Perfume. Because nobody was interested in eating the magenta sludge, I ate it every day for a week, sometimes twice a day. My hands were magenta for two days after I had cut up the beets. What a great food. It stains magenta.

At the bathhouse I observed the following:
1. A young Asian fellow wearing a speedo which was colored pale blue and white blurring together like clouds in the sky.
2. Lots of crack, as in ass crack showing out the top of bikini bottoms and shorts.
3. A fellow perhaps a little younger than me who looked instantly familiar, though I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen him before. We shared palpable recognition each time one of us walked into a space where the other one was. Many times he looked at me, and a few times at my boyfriend, with searching recognition. Conclusion: he is somebody I ought to know, or he is a heads-up for someone I will meet, or he is a reconfiguration of somebody I already know and his purpose is to remind me of something important about this person.
4. A guy I saw last time, who in the Russian room kindly poured a bucket of icy water on a bench so I could sit down without burning my ass cheeks.
5. The scent of eucalyptus that continues to call attention to itself in my nose today.

The bathhouse isn’t co-ed until 2pm on Sundays, just men earlier in the day. We arrived at 1:30. As we drove by I noticed that across the street from the bathhouse, on 10th Street between 1st Ave and Avenue A, was a little shop called Obscura, which I’d been to over a year ago—two years? This was before I knew anything about the bathhouse. I missed it when I went to the bathhouse for the first and only time previously. In case you didn’t catch my account of that first time, go
here. Inside Obscura one will find skeletons, pre-20th century photos, heavy prosthetic limbs, old dolls, and the like. Cool place.

When we left the bathhouse we went to
Ghenet, about a mile away, and tongue-fondled the ambrosiac vegetarian sampler for two along with a bottle of Cabernet Savignon. A good day it was. And then we slept like bears.

* * *

In other news, orange-faced people wearing suits weird me out. I’m not talking about oompah-loompahs. There is one of these who occasionally strides up and down the hallway outside my office.

6 Comments:

Blogger Laurel said...

Congratulations!!!

And also, beets are my most favorite root vegetable. I love them.

xoL

6:29 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Ahh! Ghenet! That is a fantastic place! Hey, I bumped into yer man on the road the other day (well, not really bumped into. encountered). Some of the knee surgery specifics had me perplexed; above my head.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Kate--maybe I'll suggest to the guy in the hallway that he eat less carrots--with no further explanation.

Laurel--nice to see you here! In case you didn't see my comment on Eduardo's blog, I really like the poem you made out of the poem titles in his table of contents.

Ye Glom--The man you speak of mentioned seeing you while ridin' his bike home from work. The specifics of the knee surgery would make more since if you saw the video of the last one. It might be my favorite short film.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I meant, above, that it would make more SENSE. Yeah, I edit for a living.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I was randomly browsing blogs and came across this one and I thought AUGH what a small world, I live in Houston Texas right now but I lived in Manhattan last year where I lived at 9th/A and walked by the baths all the time, and I ate at Ghenet almost exactly a year ago (excellent choice). So howdy from a kindred (and forlorn) spirit desperately missing NYC.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hi there, Anonymous. I'm glad I could at least provide a random Manhattan memory for you. I hope Houston's treating you well.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home