Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Sun In Spain and The Salad War

Can I just get a salad without any fucking commentary? Often when I am spotted ordering a salad, putting one together buffet-style, walking somewhere with one, such as to my office, I receive the following comments: What are you doing with a salad? You’re so thin, you don’t need to be eating a salad. You need to eat more than that. That's all you're eating? Just a salad?

Today, however, when I was in the employee cafeteria, a man behind me at the salad buffet said, "What’s the rest of the hospital going to eat?"

To the first group: Have you seen the size of the salad I put together? It’s fucking huge. It could feed three people. I happen to enjoy salad, particularly those I've made from a buffet offering hundreds of ingredients, including raisins and cottage cheese. It's good for me. It’s healthy. It tastes good going down. Not once have I commented on those hot dogs and French fries you eat for lunch almost every day and how that might not be healthy and might contribute to the way your body looks. Besides, you don't know what I put in my body when I'm not in your presence. To each his own. Why don’t we talk instead about where all these Latino midgets wearing scrubs in the cafeteria come from? Or how we feel about our future deaths?

To the latter man: Latino midgets wearing scrubs, our future deaths. Enjoy your plate of beef and vegetables. At least you know the salad is behemoth.

Ok. I guess I'm not annoyed at these people. What's the point. It's just a way of communicating askew, what's said in place of what people want to say but for some reason are unable to. Latino midgets wearing scrubs, our future deaths.

In other news, The Good Doctor has left for India for almost a month. This is no vacation, though, my work will continue to flow in. And I will miss him. Today I have been very busy solving work problems, and successfully I'm happy to say. I had a nice e-mail conversation with a doctor from Spain who shares my brother’s name, as well as the doctor's father and grandfather. And I had a nice phone conversation with a doctor from France who lives in Michigan.

People and their places.

I’ve been listening to Elliott Smith almost all day. I think I have become obsessed. I can’t stop. Why didn’t he catch me when he was alive? I’m not sure. But I think now that he might be my link to the afterlife, or to immortality. I’ll see how it plays out.

I have spread the good word about the gummy bears that contain Vitamin C and Echinacea. Now I must learn to levitate.

1 Comments:

Blogger glomgold said...

Hey, I'm shocked that I'd mentioned on Kim's site that I found her story riveting then saw you'd described it exactly as such in your comments from several days previous! I didn't think I'd seen your response but maybe I did and then forgot (but not subconsciously) because I don't know how often that term is used but never by me. Echinacea, is that what's good for memory? I'd better get a barrel of those healthy gummy bears! (I've never heard of healthy gummy bears)

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home