Tuesday, November 09, 2004

The Cookie Solution

So…I sent a letter of acceptance to an author yesterday. This morning I received a reply e-mail that said, "Good…..congratulations!" I felt immediately triumphant. And then I remembered the paper wasn’t mine; it was his. Was he being funny or sarcastic, was he congratulating himself—to me, was he kindly sharing his success with me? Today I am congratulated; weeks ago I got an f/u in response to an acceptance letter. I never know what to expect and that is what makes this trip good.

Prob
Problem
Problemo

The above terms have come to me in various contexts from overseas today to reference one resolved problem or another. It’s no wonder learning another language, English in particular, is difficult and ever unpinnable.

So I’ve decided to start a business, an emperor’s new clothes sort of enterprise, selling imaginary cookies. Imaginary Snickerdoodles will be my first product, which I will launch in Ireland later on this afternoon.

Today's tunes:
Sons & Daughters--Love the Cup (acknowledge my crush on Scott Paterson)
June of 44--Tropics and Meridians (which I rarely listen to, but today I do)
Gorillaz--Gorillaz (which I borrowed from my cousin and by sheer accident never returned)

Update: I just sent my first batch of imaginary cookies to Ireland via e-mail--"Various Mythological Characters". More later on the results.


1 Comments:

Blogger glomgold said...

An imaginary "mmmm" for imaginary snickerdoodles. Ok, enough of this fantasyland stuff; time to eat some tangible Milano cookies.

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home