Monday, November 01, 2004

Careers by Ears

This morning it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to examine the tone and timbre of voice alone in career placement testing. Forget those easily manipulatable Q&A-gauges. I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning, 90.9 today as finally everyone on 101.5 has come to irritate me. Perhaps it will pass. Anyway, a fellow named Alan Sloan (not sure of the spelling) was speaking. I could hardly concentrate on what he was saying because his voice sounded like that perfectly matched to a clown. "That guy would make a great clown," I thought. We already know that some people have "the radio voice", some people have no choice but to be a used car salesman, and some people are destined to be bitchy know-it-all mothers who host corny Halloween parties. This guy on the radio was a clown no question. I wonder what I sound like--a phone sex operator for pedophiles? I have long had beef with the sound of my voice unless after a night of screaming or a week of coughing. I once thought smoking would cure my little voice into husky strength, but the health risks aren’t worth the glamour of the sexy, smoky voice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Conclusion: those who cannot speak shall be denied work.

Not really. Sara is not so callous. Coincidentally there were two people signing in the hospital cafe this morning. I never see people signing.

Solution: this theory will obviously have to develop branches for the infinite deviations from the norm, which eventually will render the theory ineffective.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

That's terrible and funny. I'd like to see it in movie form.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Mr Anigans said...

you mean to tell me that i've been smoking all these for naught?!?!

i'm curious now what my speaking voice says about me. can you do a profile?

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home