Friday, October 29, 2004

Inside the Hootnholler

Imagine sledding along the walls of your small intestines. My mind is drained by computer-sheen today though excited for my own internal adventures. That is not a masturbation reference.

Let’s return to a list. I’d like to reiterate a unit from the list of things I dislike: traffic. I got stuck in a drudgery of it last night, idling up 287 for 11 miles and an hour an 15 minutes. I had to pee. Nevertheless, I kept road rage at bay. The traffic gods showed sympathy and shot me to work faster than ever this morning. This is the laws of karma at work.

Something else I can add to that list of things I dislike: drivers who, when I ride my bike up to an intersection, act at first like they’re not going to let me cross, and so I slow down or stop (which isn’t always preferable, particularly when I buck up and wear those shoes that clip securely into the pedals), and just as I stop, they stop with that look in their windshield like "What are you waiting for, you pesky biker?" as if I were the problem all along. I get cross.

Five songs currently doing it for me:
1. Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra: Some Velvet Morning
2. The Halo Benders: Virginia Reel around the Fountain (from The Rebels Not In)
3. 50 Foot Wave: Bug (still...)*
4. Muse: Muscle Museum (I think that’s the name of it; it came to me by chance)
5. Orbital: Dwr Budr (from In Sides)

*50 Foot Wave is opening up for the Pixies on the last show of their tour at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC on Saturday, December 18. Apparently the show sold out instantaneously so I won’t be going, even though I would have relented and thrown down the $42 plus fees. However, let not the spirits whimper. 50 Foot Wave will be releasing a new CD in February, this time a full-length, which even after my justification for the mini-releases, I’m happy about. Word is, they may return to the mini-release after they’re more established. The full-length will contain three songs from the first 6-song release and 8 songs which were planned for the second mini-release. Now hoot ‘n’ holler, won’t you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home