Thursday, August 05, 2004

International Platonic Whore

It's an Espers on repeat sort of day. I still hated everyone when I woke up this morning, but that is slowly subsiding. Actually I notice it begins to subside when I speak on the phone with people from overseas.

Taking off from yesterday's mutterings, I got a call from the head of the publishing company in Amsterdam this morning, a pretty cool fellow. My very first "conference call". It wasn't offically called a conference call, but we were discussing a powerpoint presentation on the phone. I think that qualifies, though I'm new to this. Anyway, immediately upon beginning our discussion of the powerpoint presentation, he tells me there should be a male voice with an Irish accent narrating. My blasted computer doesn't give me sounds. Immediately I felt cheated. So it was Mr. Amsterdam and I. But just imagine--Mr. Amsterdam and Mr. Ireland at the same time. What a miniature choir of aural ecstasy it would've been. Oh well. Both times he called my mood turned up. I gotta send my work number to people overseas so they can call me up and soothe.

I was listening to the radio this morning on my way to work. I don't understand why 101.5 boasts about being only New Jersey's radio station and specifically not New York's or Philadelphia's. It seems to defensive to me to include this part in their ad. I get the patriotism, the hey-we're-all-about-NJ-ism, but why the naming of what really don't need to be opponents. It's like a political ad slamming the other party and saying little about the candidate at hand. It's like a secretary I know. They're not Rhode Island or Illinois either. I get the proximity thing, too, but it seems extraneous and excessive. I was having these thoughts this morning when I was busy hating everyone, so maybe I don't really care and it means nothing.

I'm in that dangerous state of mind where I break everything down to meaning essentially nothing. Why? There is a god on a cloud somewhere above this hospital, with a whip in one hand and a flask of cheap whiskey in the other. If he's an Irish deity, I'll deal.


2 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

I can understand the pro-Jersey stance. I get really defensive sometimes when Jersey is being slammed or more importantly being ignored. We've housed some amazing people, Ginsberg, Springsteen, Karen O and Angus and to a lesser extent the Jersey emo movment, which I'm not really into, but I can respect because it fosters Jersey pride. It's like NJ is the invisible middleman between two cities. Though with the film Garden State blowing up as it is, Jersey might get the respect it deserves.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm glad you cleared this up. As an outsider I didn't know. (That sounds really sarcastic, but I really mean it.)

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home