Thursday, July 22, 2004

The Fires in All the Holes

This title:

The first time I heard this phrase I was in college and had only guys for friends. There was a designated guys' night out (aka guys, meaning hot cracked alcholic drug connoiseurs who like good music), on Tuesdays, to which no girls but I was in invited. For whatever reason. One night when I didn't join in, two of them encountered some crazed redhead and one of them partook in some illicit sexual activities with her, which either I don't remember or never knew. (Chances are I don't remember and I'm probably mixing up the story anyway. I noticed when I turned 25 that my memory really started to oscillate, blur, fade.) Anyway, after said sexual activities with the redhead, who was psychotic and thereafter became a sort of stalker, my friends referred to her as Fire in the Hole. I knew it had some other meaning but I rarely seem to be privy to such information. A few years later I wrote a highly disjunctive poem called Fire in the Hole. I have since looked up what most people might think of when they hear the phrase, rather than some young redhead's vagina.

Which is: a phrase used to warn of the immenient detonation of an explosive device. The phrase may have been originated by miners, who made extensive use of explosives while working underground.

(I do my research when called for.)

Apropos, I figure, for life among the humans. People should be calling out this phrase at random according to their psychological, emotional, social, paranormal, etc. states. To warn people.

In that poem I wrote I use a verb I learned in Latin class: ardeo. It means I am on fire. I imagine the infinitive or the third person was used more often, as in "Holy shit! It is on fire!" I thought it was incredibly funny to think of people in togas shouting in Latin "I am on fire!" Nobody else in the class seemed to think so.

Oh well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I am sad that Jeremy removed his comments about epileptic fits.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home