Monday, September 12, 2005

Peanut butter, yesterday and today

Yesterday the weather was beautiful and the day was pleasantly eventful, on target for how a Sunday should be. Today my whole body is sluggish and I'd like to jet home and nap like an animal. Existential thoughts dot the ants in the attic.

Find out what pattern your brain is. I did:

Your Brain's Pattern
Your brain is always looking for the connections in life.You always amaze your friends by figuring out things first.You're also good at connecting people - and often play match maker.You see the world in fluid, flexible terms. Nothing is black or white.

What Pattern Is Your Brain?

Pretty accurate. I don't know about the figuring things out first, though, unless it involves concocting strange melange meals.

My current roommate(s) have witnessed me concocting and eating the following:

-tuna on a baked potato, along with salsa, cheese and spinach. I hadn't planned to add the tuna to the baked potato, but the barbecue-sauced meat that was originally offered to me turned out not to be enough for the three of us. Since I wasn't terribly excited about barbecue--yet my body needed protein--I took a can of tuna from the shelf. Problem solved.

-a tortilla filled with a veggie "burger", cheese, spinach, mushrooms, and a cut-up hard-boiled egg. Does that really seem odd? Reflection tells me not. However, there is reason I rarely cook for other people. Who wants beet soup? On a baked potato? I'm in. Never combine ketchup with jelly.

My roommates have heard lore but not witnessed the following: The Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise Sandwich, which someone introduced to me long ago in a cornfield really freaking far away. Initially the idea repulsed me, but who was I to assume, never having tried it.

I prefer Miracle Whip over mayonnaise, though I rarely eat either. I'm a mustard girl--any mustard, and salsa girl--any salsa. I used Miracle Whip, not mayonnaise. The combination works surprisingly well--the tang of the whip with the nut and slight salt of the PB. I haven't had one in years.

Yesterday, I was telling Mr. Anigans and glomgold about peanut butter and provolone as sandwich filler. This combination also surprised me, but it's tasty. Would be better, I think, with some vegetable accompaniment--spinach perhaps, maybe cucumber, and some sprouts, something red.

That's when glomgold told me about a restaurant that specializes in peanut butter concoctions. Research shows me that Peanut Butter and Co. is located in New York, in the West Village, not far from where I rest my head at night. I plan to visit. Imagining that a sandwich that contains a swipe of PB and some extras could cost upwards of $5, maybe $10, however, I'll visit once, steal their ideas like a good businesswoman would, and concoct at home. Neither Miracle Whip nor provolone appear on the menu.

Finally, I'd rather not see any more pictures of Bush posing authoritatively in business-casual attire next to damage or officials in New Orleans. He makes each picture look like a poster for a television show about a disaster having taken place in some Anytown, USA. In this case, looks are everything and unfortunate.

As political commentary is not my forte, I will return to the planet made of coagulated peanut oil and sing a little song about white rabbits and hope for the future.

5 Comments:

Blogger {illyria} said...

i love your fearless experimentations.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

i thought the last line was cool.

8:13 AM  
Blogger kim said...

Hmmm...That's probably the first detailed description of foods that hasn't left me salivating. I do admire your creativity though! One combo I enjoy is plain popcorn with vanilla ice cream. It can be salted but not too buttery. Also big chunks of mozzarella with chunks of fesh garlic shoved inside... Well maybe that's not too weird, but it's tasty.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

thank you for your support, transience. i hope you're well.

thanks, benjamin. not sure where it came from. which is probably better than if i did.

and thanks, kim. popcorn and ice cream sounds gross. to each his/her own. i've heard also of ice cream and gummy bears, which also sounds gross. i love garlic. o yes do i love garlic.

1:37 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

I do enjoy your matchmaking skills nightly!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home