Thursday, August 25, 2005

Giantism and the Chickens Clucking from the Bottom

"One day we will be as giants, stronger than the sun. But that day ain’t yet come."
--from M. Ward, "Poor Boy, Minor Key", Transfiguration of Vincent


I’ve been following the news about Lance Armstrong potentially having used EPO to boost red blood cells, and thus endurance, as far back as 1999 and win thousands of Tours de France. I’m not sure why. Aside from catching bits and pieces, I’ve never followed cycling. Maybe it’s the just the vulgar voyeuristic tendency to want to see heroes fall and get dirty that causes my finger to click on links to updates.

I don't want that.

When I was teaching remedial English composition, in the book I was given to use there was an essay on the shift of the hero in American culture. I used the essay in the remedial class and eventually in my other composition classes. The gist of it was that long ago, and not really so long ago, people like presidents and sports figures were seen as heroes, glorified as being superhumans who could accomplish just about anything.

We could take this back to the Greeks if you want, though of course there is the mischief of the gods and a vile, scandalous emperor or two to consider. Nevertheless, I thought Mary Lou Retton was superhuman. She was a perfect 10 gymnast, and the likes of that drove me to want to do great things and think that I should do great things. It was imperative to work toward something beyond me and beyond what was merely easy. I didn’t think about what dirty deeds she may or may not have done in the dark of night.

Now we get stories of rape, gambling, doping, theft, adultery—the dirt. When I was a little girl I still had superhumans to look up to, but someone who is, say, my brother’s age, 20, has had the superhumans and their dirt to look up to. Generally speaking, I had as a model at least some godly qualities; my brother had as a model the cheat and scam that got the godly to godhood, thereby making it not just ok but the standard for deeply flawed heroes to have achieved heroism by way of deep flaw, which we find out after the fact, or during.

It’s one thing to show the superhumans to the public to be merely human. At the outset, that might seem more of an inspiration than showing an impossible seven-time Tour winner, but what then is there to work toward. In the atmosphere of news of deviance, beyond showing the superhuman to be merely human, the thing to work toward becomes mutant. One might say then that that leaves a person to look to oneself for goal and drive, and that's important: one’s inner will and drive is vital to the motion both of chicken and egg. But still we learn from the start by observing others even when it doesn’t seem so, whether by mimicry, rejection of what we observe, or otherwise.

Becoming more candid, with regard to celebrities and parents, the media, might seem more true to task than clinging to false ideal portraits. I have always wanted truth. The impossibility of having the truth sometimes paralyzes me; other times it pumps recklessness and apathy. Seeing things for what they are may be half the battle, but what then. There we all are in our damned naked humanness. And at what age is a person ready to know god and then knock him off his lifeguard chair. Maybe there will be a bucking up and, with the dirt out for show in the forum, people will aim yet higher, for an 11. Maybe indeed I will levitate before I die.

Most of the students in my classes were about my brother’s age or younger and thought the essay was a bunch of crap, didn’t see the point of it, didn’t get it, or just plain didn’t read it, which is evidence for my point. There were also the few students who were older than I was, who had kids and witnessed the shift in hero first-hand. And some of them had shifted too. I could go on here, having been examining my own somewhat recent bout with apathy and degenerative mind. Also, there are many facets I'm leaving out, and I need to do some more thinking on all of this. That’s an ocean bottom for another time.

The "news" about Lance Armstrong isn’t even secured. The argument is in raw current going on in front of us. A kid, say, an aspiring cyclist may hear this and when he hears it hear that indeed Lance Armstrong's deific wins are manufactured and impossible; i.e., there's no use trying, at least not without the aid of some elixir. Let the giants be shriveled until we're sure that nothing is possible except by cheating; let not. On the contrary, that kid may have will strong enough, in the case when such rumors are true, to enact some version of "fuck that" and step ahead anyway. Or maybe that crag of hopefulness I hold onto is utterly naive. It doesn't have to be that way.

There is something exciting about being in the middle of news as it’s going on, but there is no insight upon reflection that way, no taking in the whole picture with objectivity, no balance in perspective. Everybody knows everything always in the present and chaotically. In this case it isn't news; it’s Gossip: the new hero, flimsy conjecture, dirty speculation, not real and not dynamic. Yet it bears a heavily influential club.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm glad you wrote that part about the parents. I only mentioned parents but didn't get into it--partly because I went off into another direction and partly because that starts a whole other discussion about how the role of parents has shifted, how, putting it reductively, at some point a lot of parents started trying to be the friend of their kids and how a lot of those kids are much less respectful toward their parents than are kids who came before "the shift". My mom brought this up to me a little more than a year ago. I think it's an important point. I would never call my mom by her first name; "mom" is an honorable title. I don't know that the younger crowd (I haven't yet pinpointed an age) is in the same boat.

3:48 PM  
Blogger cupcake said...

When Lance Armstrong faced similar EPO charges a few years ago he said something like, "People don't believe in miracles anymore, and I am a miracle."

He also has an irregular heart that pumps more blood through his system than the average human. Oh and that third nipple.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hm. That miracle talk could be taken in a couple of ways. My first response was, "Fuck you, mister giganto-ego." Then I thought maybe it was meant gratefully to whomever provided the miracle. I haven't been following this story until this time around. I wonder if his heart could be considered a drug and soon "they" will start measuring hearts to judge qualification in sporting events.

1:32 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

I'm not a particular Lance Armstrong fan and it takes very little to nudge me into the "yup, American athlete. Definitely guilty" camp. However in this case I think the French are just being a bunch of sore loser crybabies and have set the guy up.
That aside, I am always on the lookout for superhuman hero types. I was crushed when Alexander Karelin lost to that dumb American hick in Olympics Grecco-Roman wrestling. Who was this jackass to defeat one who'd never been defeated, who was a scholar and renaissance man? I hate that scientific geniuses are wackos.

I like the idea that maybe someone somewhere is able to reach the apogee of achievement and therefore the rest of us are capable of accomplishing much more than we currently do. The fact we've yet to find anyone who's perfect only reinforces the truth that people are failures, unable to tap even the most basic latent ability we all possess.
And what's even more sad is if we ever do find that perfect person, I'll probably hate his/her guts out of envy.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

i don't want to think that people are failures. more often though, or perhaps i just see it more, people falter to the weak road rather than sticking strong to the more deific one.

that word apogee. i don't think i've ever used it. i will.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home