Monday, August 08, 2005

passing into something else

Peter Jennings died last night and this makes me sad. He is the only anchor I have felt fond of. I wish I could have sat next to and conversed with him. He will be invited to my ultimate dinner party.

Why?

He delivered the news with a smile that told he "knew" things beyond what he was to tell us mere humans. Not in an arrogant way, but rather in an astutely intelligent way laced with gentle care. We humans can handle only so much, but still there are things we must learn to handle.

He delivered the news like a human being, wise and sensitive. Tears in his eyes when you could see he felt it, yet he maintained composure enough to tell the world’s happenings.

I never felt creeped by him like I feel creeped by many people on television who with their clown make-up and lego-hair inform me of one thing or another. The weather people are particularly buggy, the sports people crawly.

I never felt like if I put the scissors to him he would be just cardboard.

Many other tv figures I imagine to be like sharp elbows in your ribs in place of a hug; Peter Jennings I imagine to be in spirit like warmth under the old family blanket you hope to inherit.

4 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

Once again, I am sorry for your loss. I'll probably feel the same when Gideon Yago passes.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

ah, sara, that's so sweet... !

7:16 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

thank you, melissa. you are my extreme friend.

hudson, um, i was having a heartfelt moment about a human being i really appreciate. i question most news i hear.

spam in blog comments blows.

hi benjamin. i do what i can. and i mean it. be well. i mean that too.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home