Thursday, July 21, 2005

Parade at Pompeii

Last night I didn’t want to sleep. I wanted to wake and wake and continue waking atop the devil’s dirt roof until I got close enough the sun would scorch me. Or I would scorch it. Last night I wrote a letter in my head that I forgot in the alarm. Still your tongue now. People are arriving.

Today is a day for loud music and sunshine relentless against any bug who beats otherwise. There are no points to be made except the one about calcium and how it changed everything. There are some things some people will never know and others will. A glass of soy milk in the morning turns tables.

—Maybe. Could you kill a cow, the boy asked me. Or rather I asked him. Camouflaged and gay, he could kill a chicken. Devour cucumbers and tomatoes. Sesame sauce. I could kill a mosquito. People like to tell me their secrets, and I listen like a puppy.

What does Snow White stand for? When was this thing invented? How many ideas can be packed into a single word? My mom thinks I have a way with dwarves. The black sheep thinks I conduct a vast underground drug operation. I hear my name from across the train station and call in the militia. All they do is sing.

Tom Waits, you are my lullaby, daydream, and closet monster, psychedelicized whiskey, you rigor, you haunt. Hips have a way of telling truth both in tropics and tundra. Circulatory system’s re-routing. Your tonsils pulsate like salsa breasts. A humid skyscraper draped in soot and shed skin, you are a languorous seducer, a quarantined porch breathing dusk in and out.

Search activity dispels panic disorder and general anxiety and thus we conclude that... That is why scavenger hunts and eye-gazing are critical, Luke. These games are metallurgic, useful and curiously relentless, both fast and slow. Breathe deep in. Now out.

Put your finger in your mouth,— thrust it into the air. A gust varies the position of phalli at crossroads. And then a volcano blows. Nobody, however, need be plaster cast into an arm’s plea just inside the city walls. What you taste afterward depends on the way you stomp the drum when the top goes out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

Wow !

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

i'm going to take that as a compliment because it feels better than not. thanks for coming by. i just returned from visit your way.

2:32 PM  
Blogger {illyria} said...

whenever anyone uses the word metallurgic in poetry-prose, my heart stops.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

that's funny. 'metallurgic' made me use it. it came to me and i didn't know why. i even looked it up to make sure i had the correct meaning in my head, because using it sure wasn't conscious. do you need resuscitation? more mauve frogs?

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home