Tuesday, December 14, 2004

High on White-Out and Beach Boys

The Midwest farmers' daughters really make you feel all right. As a native Illinoisan, I can assure you it's true. There's nothing like a corn cob or a pig's foot pumping in your orifice of choice. Or a horse tail tickling your pink spots. They also bake good bread.

I don't know why I say or think the things I do. Today's excuse could be...

MNOTS and hallucinatory sleep trouble. Unable to rest last night I stumbled downstairs for unknown reason in the dark. The dining room table was missing, gone, no longer in the dining room. Just dark empty space. And then it appeared. I stumbled back up the stairs and tried to get in the bed a foot before I reached it. I watched more I Love the 80s on VH-1. It didn't not knock me restful.

The sun is out today. Out like your wine-drunk mother.

My friend Lauren's insurance guy came to my work earlier and took pictures of my dog-bit hand. At this point my hand is nearly healed on the surface. It's deep down where it dulls and throbs for long gone teen icons. Turns out I'll probably be reimbursed for the day I took off work, even though it was a paid day off, because it was nonetheless a day out of my time bank. Cool.

Tonight is my work’s holiday party. I have been asked by many if "The Mister" will be there. The Mister will indeed be there. I look forward to this event for a few reasons:

1. I’m curious to see how these people behave outside the workplace. Is it true people get drunk at these things and lick their bosses?

2. I’m curious to see how I behave with these people outside the workplace. One of the doctors came into my office earlier just to say hi. Then he asked me how I liked working here and commented that my particular job doesn’t bring me to interact with others who work here except The Good Doctor. This is true, I said, I hear people buzzing out there, but I am in this bubble of an office. Rarely is it necessary for me to interact with the others, though I put in an effort. I think I served as a confidante over lunch the other day, and often I translate The Good Doctor’s ways for his secretary in order to keep the peace.

3. I’m curious to get Mark’s input on these people. He doesn’t know it yet, but tonight I send him in as my spy.

Here's to MNOTs and Good Vibrations. Embrace the demons. It's the only way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home