Wednesday, May 10, 2006

slicing up eyeballs again

Slow universe in the hump of week and I got all excited but to find I’d twisted titles in my head. Somewhere in web world I found that the American edition of Simon Reynold’s Rip It Up and Start Again is out now (March 2006). I wrote about him a while back here: once in a used bookstore in Minneapolis I found a book he wrote which included a chapter on Throwing Muses (Kristin Hersh’s first band, Kristin Hersh my hero). I was pretty excited. The thing was only 8 bucks but I literally had no money to spend—end of the month, et cetera. I figured I’d get it another time. I researched during the past couple years and the book is out of print. Unable to remember the title, I thought this was it. Nope. The one I want is called Blissed Out, and the cheapest I found it was $45 for a used copy at Amazon. Some day my prince will come. In the meantime, I’ve added Simon Reynolds’ blog to the tuliped sidewalk over on the right.

The tale I related earlier was about having read his Generation Ecstasy. While I was reading it someone I knew but not well saw me reading it out in public and said, "Are you actually reading that?" (That’s like when I told one of the secretaries where I work that I had moved to Brooklyn and she responded, "Who would want to move to Brooklyn? What a crummy place. I dated someone who lived there. What a crummy place. Just crummy." Don’t bother with the impertinent drivel, please.) Yes, I was actually reading it and, being interested but not fiendishly interested, I was fully impressed by how he told the history and development of dance music and its correlate drugs. It did what a history should do: it transcended the history of its specific topic and shed light on humanity. Unless he’s got a fanged snake in his back pocket, I’ll read whatever he writes, particularly if it’s about Throwing Muses.

Speaking of slicing up eyeballs, I was geeking out a few weekends ago when I got an unexpected alien signal for internet access at home, mazing from link to link and found demos for the first Breeders album, Pod, which Tanya Donelly of my beloved Throwing Muses appears on. There was a story about some wild marijuana and how some of the songs for the first Belly album were originally intended to be on the second Breeders album, before Tanya Donelly left and formed Belly. Anyway, one of the demos was "Silver," which eventually made it to the Pixies' album Doolittle (presently decorating the air in my office). "Silver" is one of my favorite Pixies songs, and both Doolittle and Pod hold elite coves in my ears, so I ate this story up like slice of pizza.

Now, let us all join in a sundance so that I might jog among the Polish when I get home.

3 Comments:

Blogger dishpantheism said...

oh how i love doolittle. may, i believe, is the traditional month to begin the summer-long-spin of this wonderful album.

i didn't know about the donelly/breeders connection. interesting.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

I raise my highball to you, Sara. Crummy places seem to be where its at. Some people know too much x

7:59 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

hi there, dishpantheism. some say tanya donelly is barely heard on the first album because of an issue with the label throwing muses was on at the time (being different from breeders'); others say it kim deal and donelly planned to alternate lead roles from album to album. who knows. anyway, i'm playing that pixies album again to get me through this friday at work. be well.

good day, benjamin. i concur about people and what they know. and i'm having a fine time so far exploring my new crummy place. crummy places are rich in rich details. i raise my drink (which i will be having when this work day ends) to you. here's to rolling about in the dirt of crum.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home