Monday, January 03, 2005

More Inanity in the Office Space

Where I work I get holiday pay for several holidays, which is cool. However, it is the employee’s responsibility to key holiday pay hours into the time clock. For a while nobody told me I had to do this, and getting someone to show me how to do it is proving food for slapstick:

1. Somebody keyed it in for me the first time, too quickly for me to stop her and say, "Hey, how does it go?"

2. Since I don’t know how to do it, the office manager has had to plug in the hours herself on a couple of occasions, either because I neglected it entirely (before I knew I had to do this) or because I did it wrong (when I attempted to follow an instruction sheet somebody tossed on my desk one day). I’m no good at reading instructions; however, I am swift enough to follow a basic step-by-step. When I tried to follow the instruction sheet, however, the steps on the sheet did not match up with the steps the time clock took. The office manager said to me that someone should go to the time clock with me and watch me. Because I’m fucking half-brained child who needs supervision for complicated tasks? This is not a complicated task; I just need to be told how to do it.

3. Two people have told me to ask other people to show me how to do it, neither of which people I ever talk to for any reason. I haven’t asked these people because a) it seems illogical for me to show up at the desks of people I've never met, and don’t even know what they do here, to ask them to show me how to key in my holiday pay (And you are…), and b) I refuse to participate in the INANE DELEGATION that goes on in this office environment. Why don’t you show me yourself, or tell me? A minute, two minutes...how long could it take?

It’s only difficult when I or anybody else has to travel through a freight train of people. And now, having tried repeatedly for the second half of the day to talk to the office manager about this minute situation (which is actually large because it regards my minute pay), it is time for me to leave. Still no answers. Just like life itself and the prospects of God.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr Anigans said...

i've never likened bureaucracy with the divine.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

'twas only sarcasm. juxtaposition of opposites.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home