Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Photo Time


This is a family gathering. Left to right, bottom row: Mark's sister-in-law's parents, Mark's mom, Mark (my boyfriend), my mom, Shin (my friend); Left to right, top row: Mark's dad, me, Alex (my brother), my grandma, my dad.

Enough of that existential drivel from earlier. It's time for my very first picture on the blog. I was looking at this one recently. This picture makes me smile. I think we'd be better rounded out if someone Latino, or Bjork perhaps, had joined us that evening. I love it that my mom is squeezing the shit out of Shin, and even better that she's managed to make her eyes look Asian here (though I don't know if it's noticeable here--just trust me). It's been suggested before that I might contain Asian blood: a yellow tint in my skin...

A follow-up tale: one day I stopped at a convenience store with Shin (above), whom I think obviously looks Asian. The Indian (or maybe he was Latino--it's been a while) guy behind the counter asked Shin where he was from. He never actually lived in China, but to make the conversation quick so we could get out with our beverages and his cigarettes, he said he was from China. Then, after glancing at me, the counter guy looked back at Shin and asked him, "Is she from China, too?" Apparently I look Asian more than Shin does. Again, I say it: What beautiful and confusing patchwork world we live in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home