Saturday, August 21, 2004

Witch, Medium-Rare : White Trash BBQ

I'm a blogging machine today.

Trying to find something entertaining to do this evening, I thought I'd try something new and browse the internet for events in New Jersey, to see what might be out there that I haven't a clue about. I found this: MId-Atlantic Pagan Alliance's Annual Witches BBQ

This seems weird to me, the barbecue-pagan combination. Maybe it's because of where I come from, where BBQs are associated with grilling meat, eating potato salad, pasta salad, chips, and drinking beer, shootin' the shit. Which, from experience, I don't associate with the pagan, the witch. Granted, I'm going on my immediate image of the modern witch: girl with long hair, wearing a long black skirt, a flowing and sheer kind of burgundy or black shirt, heavy antique-looking jewelry, dramatically carrying out her ritual so to be aligned with nature, and this one in particular likes to make comments suggestive of her spiritual inclinations, so everyone knows that she's not Christian and that most people would be frightened by her practices, yet not divulging specifically what those practices are, very unnecessarily cryptic, as if she wants people to ask but really doesn't, and if those people did ask she would either remain cryptic or would go self-righteously overboard with explanation. That said, I know that isn't definitive or absolute of the pagan. Please send no hate mail.

The above character I don't associate with the image of the BBQ I grew up with in Illinois and continue developing in New Jersey. But I guess at any barbecue there are going to be people shooting whatever kind of interchangeable shit, and some kind of fire, whatever the people choose to do with it: worship it, jump into it, over it, piss on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home