Friday, November 26, 2004

Red Wine and Rose Tree

I find it curious that matching velour sweat pants and zip-ups are acceptable in the office since they’ve come into fashion. In the same way I find it curious that faded and ripped jeans are acceptable as nice and in-fashion since Abercrombie & Fitch started selling them, that and the short-sleeved t-shirt over the long-sleeved t-shirt ensemble that once was associated with sloppy alterna-types. Funny that the same things my mom complained about me wearing when I was a teenager are now lauded on cheerleaders and middle-aged women because they fit the day’s fashion. (This does not include the velour sweatsuit.) This observation is nothing new, but I still find the trend laughable when I'm feeling like an old cranky bitch. People are ridiculous and, as Nick Cave would have it, they just ain’t no good. Speaking of which, I saw Shrek 2 last night, in which this song appeared, which I thought odd and interesting.

Wednesday night I saw Alexander with Shin and Tom. Two days later I still have mixed feelings. I can name the things I dislike about it; I can’t, however, name the things I like, though feelings are still mixed. For example, I don’t like the grab-bag "foreign" accents assumed by the actors. I heard British, Scottish, Irish, Spanish, and hybrid accents. I had the feeling each actor was told to decide which accent he or she could pull off the best and use that one, despite character or storyline. And why when characters in movies are supposed to be "foreign" (I think also of Troy), do they often take on a British accent? That’s my question to Santa Claus this year. Watching an American actor posing as a Greek hero and shouting like a Brit about fighting by Zeus and by Hera is terribly distracting. Too many disparate pieces to reconcile.

Yesterday I brought a bottle of wine to Thanksgiving Dinner. I bought it because it looked cool, it was called Heart of Darkness (one of my favorite books), and it was described simply as "red wine"--not cabernet savignon, not merlot, not shiraz--red wine. It wasn't rotten, it wasn't my favorite; i.e. not so great.

p.s. Every time I hear a Beatles song I feel rejuvenated.
p.p.s. Anne Carson is on to something far, far away.
p.p.p.s. At Alexander I got popcorn spilled on me. That’s the second movie in a row that I got popcorn spilled on me.
p.p.p.p.s. Rhododendron


2 Comments:

Blogger cupcake said...

I have been hunting for a new black hoodie for a while and today I purchased one, it happens to be velour. I didn't however buy the matching track pants. I suppose it won't be considered corporate casual now.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

No, you're saved on that one. Just don't get the pants and a matching suit for your mom and walk around together in airports. That too is a fashion no-no. I am, after all, the Juno of Fashion.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home