Monday, November 22, 2004

Cave Dwelling Hoodlums Ace Chemistry

Went to Howe’s Caverns on Saturday. It was my first time in a cave.

Doesn’t that sound like I’ve come out of the closet?

Wrong door, begin again. It was my first time in a cave. As long as I can remember I’ve wanted to frolic in a cave. I wish the path inside had been dirt instead of brick and that I’d been able to explore the secret pathways and crawl spaces. However, I understand that if I’d been able to do that, and thousands of other people were allowed to do that, the cave would now or some day not be stable enough to enter at all. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the field trip, and I feel like a new woman. Mark and I came away with hooded sweatshirts bearing the Howe name. A couple was getting married in the cave as we were leaving, couple #539.

On the way out of the boondocks we stopped at an animal shelter that smelled like the most potent, the most powerful of dogs. Bark, bark. Bark.

Do antidepressants cause adolescents to commit suicide, or do antidepressants prevent adolescents from committing suicide? You decide.

My instinct is to say that adolescents should not be dosed with chemicals because they are still developing in body and in mind. (Isn't this part of what the cuddly Dare program is about?) Everybody has problems, some more than others, but the quick-easy especially at that stage in a person’s life is not the most profitable long-term answer. (To be honest, I think the quick-easy should be left to last resort always, though I am one to take the long, grueling route even when unecessary.) I could also say that cave-boys and cave-girls in their adolescence didn’t have the opportunity to eat Prozac or Zoloft. Probably all young people have emotional difficulties of varying degree. So it goes. On the other hand, the world is much changed since yesteryore, and maybe new times birth new problems which call for new ways of assessing and addressing those problems. I still don’t like the idea of fucking with the developing wires of young people, which I imagine are too unstable for anyone to gauge well enough what antidepressants might do to them. I imagine there are plenty of people ready to tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about, I don’t understand what they go through, and I’m condemning a good antidote. So it goes. The New York Times Magazine incited all of this.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mr Anigans said...

speaking as someone who has been on many anti-depressants....i dunno....

7:38 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm glad for your diatribe. I'm not bashing antidepressants on the whole. It sounds like it really works for some people and for those people I am glad, but I've heard people admit out loud to using them as a form of escape from bad feelings. These are human. Have a beer, nibble some psilocybin, eat steak and ice cream, whatever. That aside, it's the giving the stuff to kids that really bothers me.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I meant: except in circumstances, such as what Ms. Linehan described, say, it's giving the stuff to kids that really bothers me. I guess I feel distrustful and with little faith in this field, which may be ignorant and unfair to some extent.

9:27 PM  
Blogger kim said...

Well they can be dangerous. You gotta weigh the advantages and disadvantages. I read an article at work where a girl got lyme disease but noone knew and just saw her becoming psychotic. She was given one of these drugs and it made her suicidal. So, I'm not sure what happens to kids who really need are severly depressed, but I know that if you're not depressed you definitly shouldn't take it. And like Kate said, these drugs should never be taken without a therapist.

10:07 PM  
Blogger kim said...

Oh yeah. And visiting a cave? You're totally a closet lesbian.

10:07 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Humans're all about the quick-easy (lookit that, I just cut corners with that contraction)! Obviously something about modern living leads to increased depression but there doesn't seem to be a whole lotta research into why. Perhaps not enough money can be made by going that route. I'm guessing once these kids grow up, their new side-effects will just be treated with new medicine. If you ever get an opportunity to go to Guilin, China they've some great tours there. All you do is go up into mountains then down into caves, some big enough where you go on a little boat ride in an underground river.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home