Thursday, October 14, 2004

How Do You Feel?

My head is full of green snot, and I have been listening to CDs that I listen to only periodically.

"Sometimes I feel like Jesus in some Chinese opera." This continues to be one of my favorite lyrics. It’s from a Jim White song called "Perfect Day to Chase Tornados," from the album Wrong-Eyed Jesus. I saw him open up for Kristin Hersh at Schuba’s in Chicago, six or seven years ago. Wasn’t at all in the mood for some mellow, folky dude in a white cowboy hat. Nope. I wanted to see Kristin Hersh. Well, he showed me with palpably bizarre show. I thought I’d been dropped onto a bed of strange poppies in Twin Peaks. There are other truly gem-lines in this song, but this one stands out because it feels as meaningful as the other gems, which are more straightforward, but assumes a bizarre world unto itself. That is, I hear it and say, Yeah me too. I can’t say that it’s ever come to me that I feel like Jesus in some Chinese opera, in those very words, though apparently I've felt that very feeling. By the way, this feeling probably has nothing to do with having a head full of green snot; that's just what's going on today.



1 Comments:

Blogger Mr Anigans said...

sometimes you're jesus in my opera....

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home