Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I love you, I’m afraid not

Earlier I was in the hospital’s gift shop looking for a card that wasn’t cliché. I found one that I could idiosyncrasize and brought it up to the counter, just as a man shopping for the perfect balloon distracted the lone cashier, ADD’ing him away from asking me to pay for my card.

Do you have "Get Well Soon"? he asked the cashier.

Yes, he replied.

How ‘bout "I Love You"?

No, we don't have "I Love You."

So you have "Get Well Soon" but not "I Love You." The balloon shopper wasn’t the brightest bulb.

Right. "Get Well Soon," yes. "I Love You," I’m afraid not.

I contorted my mouth to stifle laughter. I just witnessed a rejection.

I love you, I’m afraid not.

What if love were as frankly mechanical as the balloon trade.

3 Comments:

Blogger {illyria} said...

how delightful! that kind of rejection would constitute severe balloon-popping. i forget your email addy, dear, and would like to send you the link to my new site. :)

1:59 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

hello hudson. yes, the gamut of loves is vast.

hi newly illyria. my e-mail address, i'm going to give you the one that doesn't include my last name for now, so be sure to include a loud and obvious subject line: telescopic@hotmail.com. i look forward to visiting your words again.

9:32 AM  
Blogger {illyria} said...

yes, a reply! okay, will email you straight away. :)

xx.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home