Tuesday, July 25, 2006

peeking in for a spot of chocolate

I’ve been brain-stuffed and with not enough sleep spindles in my pillow, spelling memory loss and lanky long-term, erratic centerfoldings. Chemistry varies from foot to foot. There must some meaning in this vase.

I'm not thinking about it too much because it’s only confusing to think about it. I am weary of hearing musicians say this when an interviewer asks what their reaction is to all the excitement over their new album. It isn’t the fault of the musician, though. It’s a reasonable, stable way to respond. (Damn right my album shatters planets! I’ve stopped writing. This is as good as it gets.)

I understand why an interviewer would ask the question, particularly when some sort of success comes abundantly and out of nowhere, but the answer almost always tells me nothing about the musician or the music. By now the musician should know that the above response is a reasonable one and self-consciously say it whether genuinely or not. Or maybe the musician will answer that he’s slathering himself in the erotic chocolate of his new fame.

Whatever the answer, and whether it’s delivered honestly or self-consciously, it’s psychologically shaded and weighted and, thus, of little use. I suppose it’s a way for the interviewer to acknowledge and congratulate the musician on his or her favorable reception. In that case, though, the interviewer could just do that frankly and then break out knife and fork to get into the meat of things.

Dinner bell, dinner bell, ring.

Next time: tawdry tales of eight-legged bicycles excommunicating widows from their places of worship.

1 Comments:

Blogger glomgold said...

I've often wondered, if I were interviewed, would I provide any useful information whatsoever. I think not as I'm wordy, time would be limited, and no one is expecting any useful information anyway. "Entertain me!"
Plus I've nothing to say.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home